Monday, March 17, 2008

THANK YOU and BEST REGARDS

"Thank you so much for joining in", said the news anchor in a television channel to a news correspondent joining in from a remote village somewhere in Iraq. Did the host really mean it from the bottom of her heart when she said that? The correspondent was anyway cutoff from the transmission before the dialogue was delivered. So he logically could not have heard her pleasantry.

This is just an example. Let's take the case of emails. We end our mails by "Regards" or "Best Regards" or some other form of acknowledgement on how pleased we are. But does this matter. What about when you are sending an angry mail or perhaps reprimanding somebody. "I wanted to inform that you have really screwed it up and I am at a loss. I am not able to control myself and might just strangle you." With Best Regards ...you would end!!


Are these pleasantries just words that mean nothing or its just the context that make them meaningless. We are taught not to act what you don't mean and by the same logic are you falsifying your actual intentions or perhaps no intentions. It's somewhat like the Good Morning that people wish me while they pass my desk every morning without the slightest intention of waiting for my response.

I rest my case...With Best Regards!!!
Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment