Tuesday, April 4, 2006

Damn It!! Will You Please Shut Up?

Often and on, in different situation I feel like exclaiming thus, but what prevents me from doing so is probably the way I am and for sure you could carry the same trait as mine of not being unnececssarily rude to people. (Am I being funny?)

In the morning today I was having a tripartite discussion on the subject of corruption in different countries when one of the guys suddenly said. “In Korea there is no corruption”!! He was adamant on the issue and it was a futile attempt on my part to let him know that perhaps newspapers were not part of his daily life. He was a man from Singapore and had no inclination to accept our point of view and then a time came where I was itching to make that rude comment.

Sometimes when we friends get together, jokes are but a natural ingredient of the evening. But then we have this guy who enjoys joking about others, but then starts showing his true colours if the joke is on him. He becomes wild and that’s the time one wishes to use the “phrase” in question with aplomb.

Irritation is but a natural feeling and there could be different triggers for us to get into such a mental state. But there is this guy who manages to irritate me as soon as he shows his dentures. According to him, the sun sets in the east, the river flows up the mountain and the cars travel backwards. I am sure you understand what I mean, and as soon as he opens his mouth I feel like utilizing the comment..

I had a friend in Delhi and he was heavily into Yoga and the works. He was ever ready to extol the virtues of diet and exercise on every occasion, as if there is nothing else to talk about. But he had this one major attribute of letting out air from his mouth coupled with this funny throaty sound emission (we know it as the “burp”) at regular intervals. I am not sure of the condition of his digestive sys tem but I hope you get the wind of my feelings.

In any group you have this advisor who could give you directions to do better in every which way or act. He could easily be a sub set of the Mr. Know All (http://seouldays.blogspot.com/2006/03/mr-know-all.html) category explained earlier. Right from how I should design my presentation or the subway route to a destination or buying a camera, he would be so eager to put in his two bits. While I surely do not mind this extra uncalled help, the trouble starts when you quiz him further and he would fall from the sky when I want him to explain to me the relevance of shutter and aperture priority in cameras. That’s the right occasion for me then to exclaim and use the question in question!!

I am not sure whether this happens to you, but my wife has something extremely interesting carved in her hand, especially in the fate line. In a movie theater she would always have these fellow viewers exactly in the row behind who would be incessantly conversing on any subject other than perhaps the movie and in a pitch that would directly interfering with the sound waves coming from the Dolby sound system.. So while you are watching the movie along with the dialogues onscreen; you would get the bonus whispers, giggles and other innuendos as a form of improvised Chinese torture. There are also some people who find it’s their duty to explain each and every dialogue, story or the future screen shots to follow. That’s one of the best occasions to do the killing.

On other occasions, you have some colleagues for whom the “9 to 5” concept does not end. Be it the evening get-togethers, family occasions, children’s birthdays, site seeing visits and any other event, they cannot but discuss the office and whatever else is happening there. I don’t really expect them to appreciate and converse about all nuances of life but its a fair admission on my part that a lot of times I do feel like asking them to just - (you know what). I could have rhymed that but all the same, as long as I can communicate the essence.

I would like to end here though there are many other such occasions and I could carry on for some time more but I don’t want to be on the receiving end, where you would actually turn around and tell me to shut up!!! Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment