Saturday, May 1, 2010

Gypsy Passion –Kuwait Little Theatre (April 30th) – An afterword!!

Performing Arts interests us a lot, so when the Kuwait Little Theatre announced that there would be a program on Flamenco dancing by Ana Utero; I quickly booked a few tickets for the family. The synopsis in the website was quite self-explanatory in the sense that the evening would consist of Poetry, Music and Dance.
The theatre was a small affair with a motley crowd that largely knew one another making us sort of the odd men out. In time, the lights were dimmed and the guitars came alive. There were two guitars and a bongo for percussion. The lady came in and we did see some moves. There were 12-13 items on the show. The recitals of poetry were without passion and mediocre. The saving grace was the music because the subsequent dances failed to impress the crowd – what with the same moves et al.

To be honest, this was a bad investment of time against what I had thought it would be. The overall rating would be a 4 out of 10. I only hope that this performance was an exception.


For those of who are not inclined towards my thoughts and want to know more about Ana - the website is given below.

http://anaoterodance.blogspot.com/ Sphere: Related Content

11 comments:

  1. I went to this show. I thought it was amazing. Maybe you don't know anything about flamenco. I actually thought the dancer was incredible but found the musicians to be mediocre, I mean, they were good but they were not professional. I did not find Ana Otero's moves repetitive, I thought they were telling a story. Yes, a translation would have been nice, but I was so hypnotized by the atmosphere that I didn't even realise that I didn't understand Spanish!!!!!! One needs to understand flamenco to like it. I went to Granada to do a course one summer...so beautiful. Bye for now!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. How would "you" know about my understanding of Flamenco?
    2. We are undividuals, so your brain works differently than mine and you are entitked to your thoughts.
    3. Doing a course on any subject does not nake you a subject matter expert.
    4. Flamenco...is not classical,,,,its folk!! Folk should be universal in appeal.

    Good Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmm....as I am entitled to my thoughts that's why I shared them...I did not say I was an expert, I said I really enjoyed the show, it made me feel good. Flamenco is not a folk dance, it's ethnic, but not folk. again, my opinion. Sorry if I bothered you but it is a blog and some people think differently and like to comment. You didn't like it, I did, and that's what makes life amazing....that we are all different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and thanks for the the site!!!!! I read about her. She has quite a professional backround....just read that she will be teaching a course in Portugal this summer, and that's where my sister is living!!!!! I emailed the school and they answered me!!!!!! So I have signed up for the course. Thanks for posting the site!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Finally we agreed. We agreed to disagree!!
    2. I knew that she was a pro....its just that....that's the reason I went in the first place.
    3. Good luck with your course...and hopefully you would put up a better display...what say? I promise to be in the audience!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ravi...I was trying to find your email in this blog but I couldn't find it...it just seems like we are gossiping with the comments!!!!

    Well, Gypsy Passion is on at the KLT again and I thought I would go just to really take a look at the whole show, I mean I respect your thoughts and I wanted to make sure I trusted mine..so I booked tickets but something was wrong with the web site. I emailed Ana Otero, got her email on her blog, thanks to you, and, apart from answering me and assuring me she would book tickets for me, she said it was a different Gypsy Passion. She said she felt limited because she hasn't been here long and she thought the audience would be conservative. Seeing that it's not she commented that she had changed everything, the structure, the music, has more musicians, and that it's bilingual, Spanish and English. And a lot longer with intermission.
    I am excited to see this. I will keep in mind your thoughts and critique with a stronger eye. I will let you know how it went!!!

    Read some of your articles...really cool... I am a music teacher...so my passion is music!!!

    Have a nice evening!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Anonynous,

    Hope this on eis better. When have they planned for the same?

    My email id is ravisarkar@yahoo.com!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. June 11 is show. Thanks for the email!!!!! So happy it's the weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's not funny to reply to anonymous persons!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmmmm....Gabriela is my name...

    ReplyDelete
  11. And what's the email id, if yu wish that is? That will not be published here of course!!

    ReplyDelete