Friday, May 7, 2010

Mitsupishi Bajero

Accents and the way we speak is an evolutionary process. From childhood you hear sounds from your surroundings and your vocal chords and mouth organs act accordingly to produce similar sounds. Long back I had written about the T and D when I was in Korea.
(Ref: http://wordventure.blogspot.com/2006/03/t-or-d.html).

When I came to the Gulf I found similar issues with people who speak Arabic. For example all Ps would become Bs much like the Koreans. When I went to opt for a car, the leasing company gave me an option between the Toyota Brado and the Bajero. That’s purely because in Arabic there is no P alphabet. But why can’t we learn the new sound P. Is it biologically impossible? Perhaps - doctors could answer that!

I know we face the same problems when pronouncing Khan or any of the K sounds in Arabic. I am told that it is not a straight forward K sound. It’s from within, from the epiglottis I am told.
In Korea they had a problem with my name. Typically an average Korean cannot pronounce a R sound if its at the beginning of the word. They would produce a strange sound somewhere in between a L and a R. However this problem is absent if the R is in between a word. For example, Korea!!!

In India we have many issues in accents. The Bengalis typically use rounded vowels and since the logic is understood only by him, the others in India just cannot fathom and produce the correct Bengali pronunciation. In the South you have the budget word where D is pronounced and is not silent. Who knows why?

It’s a strange world!! Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment