Thursday, September 11, 2008

Causes : Dubai Accidents

There is not a single day here in Dubai when I have not seen an accident. This is irrespective of the route I take to office and back. Lately, the type of accidents that I have been noticing are between fellow motorists where one bangs behind the other, and there could be more who keep coming up and join the mess. While I try to figure out the reasons, I am also scared that something might happen to me too. Anyway the most likely reasons for such incidents are as follows:

1. While driving people DO NOT maintain minimum distances between their and the car ahead. The distance would vary depending the speed you are driving at.
2. Most people do not signal while changing lanes and worse they forget to look at the blind spot.
3. Most drivers are not relaxed while driving. The pressure to reach on time I understand that but perhaps better late than never.
4. There is no remorse for causing an accident since the insurance company is there to bear the cost!!
5. The testing methodology and passing techniques by RTA are not as per process but rather on whims and fancies and mood swings of the examiner.
6. Dubai road signage is still not upto the mark considering the high speed driving that occurs here. Frequently I have seen people changing lanes because of poor signage or none at the appropriate points.
7. A lot of trailer trucks while coming out from an inner road and joining the main road do not fathom the space their tail needs to turn.
8. Peer pressure for driving fast is a social phenomena and this is applicable to mostly younger drivers.
9. Mobiles are one of the worst causes of distraction. I don't talk on phone while driving. I don't care what you think of me.
10. People are a lot of times not careful about their lanes!!
11. People get agitated if a fellow driver makes a mistake. Don't aggravate the situation making him more angry. YOU go on your way and leave him alone.
12. If you have reached your speed limit and there is this driver who wants to go ahead of you, give him the space. Let him disappear from your life!!

Thats all I can think of now and there could be more. Drive safely, relax and enjoy the music if not the jam!! Sphere: Related Content

2 comments:

  1. Ravi
    Wonderful analysis . But I beg to differ on point 6 .I guess you are yet to venture into the roads of SHJ, AUH and RAK, where road signs lead you to bizarre place names from where you will never come out.
    Also why you left out the idiots who barge in at the tip of an exit. Sometimes it's really frustrating to see these idiots driving perpendicular to the lanes and demanding space from a normally patient heart patient like me, who of course has no room for a hyper tension.

    unni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Unni,

    I agree with you. Thanks for reading up my stupid scribblings.

    ReplyDelete