Sunday, October 12, 2008

Lulu Hypermarket, Tomatoes and Others!

Going to the supermarket is a weekly affair for me if not more. There is always something to be bought for home and while the family does a trip in the weekend, I do some random stops while coming back from office. Actual field research (I am the sole researcher) shows that Friday morning is the best time to go. The same research also mentions that – that’s not the time we land up being there!! You would rather be in bed and extend your Friday well deserved holiday morning.

Now I have these interesting observations/feelings in the supermarket that come to me at different counters. We do these quality assurance checks while say buying vegetables. At the tomato counter, the first check would be to ensure that the piece fits into my palm. Then I squeeze it slightly to check for how firm and juicy it is. This selection process goes for a while, notwithstanding the stares that I get from my fellow customers. But a bad tomato is very similar to a bad potato, if you know what I mean.

The lady’s finger is another unique area where I manage to irritate others where painstakingly I select each piece and now see that it’s not too hard. The texture should be smooth and the squeeze ritual applies here too. The long green beans also are time consuming efforts where I have to select the right measurement in terms of length and the tubular circumference. The potatoes are easy. They are either good or bad. I love potatoes without any growths or black pressure marks.

The coconut buying in Lulu is interesting especially if you want them grated (free service). You carefully select a coconut where the quality of the coconut is dependent on the weight, spherical volume and the tonal quality of the music emanated from the sound the water makes when the coconut is shaken vigorously near your ears. All this done and off you go the counter and deposit YOUR piece. After 10 minutes what you would get back is grated coconut off some other piece selected by somebody else!! What a waste of time. These days I straightaway ask for the grated stuff, assuming that somebody else would anyway get the coconuts to the grating counter. Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

  1. This post really made me crack-up! I follow exactly the same ritual every Friday early morning. I usually alternate between Lulu's and Carrefour at Deira City Centre.

    If you are there early morning the tomatoes are usually fresh, if you are lucky you might even get hold of the early morning fresh supplies that come in.

    ReplyDelete