Sunday, May 10, 2009

Al Kauser, Diyafah street - Biryani, Kababs and everything else

There are Biryanis and there are Biryanis. There is a Hyderabadi version, an Awadhi version, traditional Andhra version, Kerala Style, Pakistani style and so on and so forth. Then you have Biryani that is served by restaurants without any background, class or finesse.

To be honest with you, I like my Biryani light. It should not be heavy with Spices, a lot of flavour and aroma, smooth meat cooked right and cooked on Dum. In India, I feel the best biryani is served by Karims am extremely famous eating place near Jama Masjid, Delhi. I of course like Kababs and the Kakoris and Galouti are good at the Great Kabab Factory.

In Dubai, I have been trying out a variety of Kababs and Biryanis , but then I found the best the other day when we ventured out to Diyafah Street. First let me tell you about the food.
We ordered for Verki Paratha which was served hot and along with came Kakori Kababs to die for. The Galouti was even better and they just melted in our mouth. Biiryani was served in a Earthen Vessel that was sealed with dough and believe me, it was awesome.

We enede with Phirni. Well, we packed all that we ate so that next day's lunch was taken care of. So, don't think too much. This the place for Awadhi cuisine!!!

I don’t need to go to Kabab Roll(reviewed earlier); this is the place for me. You should try and I am sure you will agree with me that The Great Kabab factory in Dubai has to learn something from these guys. The name of the restaurant is Al Kauser. I have had their food in Delhi, but the Dubai branch is excellent I am not going for Indian Non Veg anywhere else!!!

P.S.

Biryani – Biryani in Farsi means 'fry before cooking'. To make Biryani, mutton is fried in ghee and par-cooked (Cooked half way). Separately, the Rice is fried in Ghee, and par-cooked (Cooked half way). The rice and meat were layered (cluster of rice on top of cluster of meat) in a cookware called Handi. The Handi is sealed with dough. It is Dum cooked (baked) on low heat. Sphere: Related Content

4 comments:

  1. Al Kauser hardly churns up the best biryani! Its laced with so much Vetiver (Kewra) that its not even funny. Sadly Al Kauser has had to adapt to Delhi's spicy taste buds. Their food if awadhi should not be laced with tonnes of chillies. This doesnt mean that Kauser doesnt serve good cuisine.. it does but only for the people who dont have a clue as to what Lucknowi or Awadhi cuisine is all about.

    Karims at Jama Masjid is good.. but try and visit its poor cousin Al Jawahar Hotel just before entering the street leading to Karims - you wont be disappointed.

    Back to Dubai - Rawi's is the place for kebabs. I have tried to ascertain whether its Karachi or Lahori cuisine... however have come to the conclusion that the Kebabs there are certainly a close call to what Awadh has to offer. Rawi's bihari Kebabs, Kachhe Gosht ke goli, Daal Maash finished with their trademark kheer is a good evening spent in Dubai for a person looking to get some reasonably priced food. Rawi is located in Satwa, on the main road just before Satwa Bus stop. Ask any of the Pakistani RTA cab drivers there; again no one goes disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous,

    1. I did not vouch for Al Kauser in Delhi. I just mention its name. But I did vouch for AL Kauser in Dubai. I repeat that the food is excellent there in spite of your rather patronising comments on anybody's knowledge about Avadhi food.
    2. I have eaten in Karim's poor cousin too as mentioned and its not a match.
    3. Ravi and not Rawi is a Pakistani restaurant chain in Dubai having more than one branch in that city. And yes they are popular!! There are others untraditional dishes like Keema Karela that you should try.
    4. I am not an expert on Lahori vs Karachi..but I do understand Avadhi. The best Avadhi incidentally is sadly no longer available in Lucknow or Delhi's normal restaurants. You would find the same in Dum Pukht in Maurya Sheraton Delhi. The other one is on Mumbai Nasik Road with the same name, just about 20 kms away from Nasik!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am surprised that anyone would recommend Dumpukht as the standard bearer for Awadhi food. I had a chance to eat there a couple of months back. We ordered the Awadhi korma. The dish that was served tasted and smelt like Nihari! i actually thought that a mistake had been made in taking the order and requested that they check with the chef. The chef then came to the table and explained that they made their Awadhi korma in that style!!!

    I know my nihari very very well...and i know my korma... Qorma actually...equally well...and there is nothing common between the two...! so sadly...it was quite disappointing that a restaurant that is supposed to specialize in Awadhi food makes their Awadhi Qorma in Nihari style! Nihari incidentally happens to be from Delhi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Korma(Qorma) may be cooked in a Dum. But the better Kormas is definitely not Dum cooked. Nihari and Dum Pukt by definition is different. What's so new about it?

    Perhaps if you visit Lucknow you might get to taste the original Awadhi Korma!! And Dum Pukht is surely Awadhi. One aberration or exception does not spoil the story.

    ReplyDelete