Sunday, February 8, 2009

Road Rage - Dubai

The other day I happened to visit Lulu Hypermarket in Qusais. I had already entered the parking lot and was slowly cruising to locate a parking slot. There was this T junction and a vehicle from the left was trying to barge in though it was my right of way. I went ahead and then found this gentlemen rolling down his window and uttering obscenities in a language that I don’t understand. I ignored him but then this fellow in a Hummer overtook me by swerving onto the footpath and then tried to bang his vehicle against mine. Luckily there was a lane that I could get into and I escaped the attention of this mad man. I think I did well to get off from his sight by controlling my own blood pressure in a foreign land where perhaps I may not get a favorable decree.


On the roads, people frequently try to barge in to your lane dangerously or even try to bully you from behind. The other day I was driving on Academic City road at 80 on cruise control (!) when this Nissan Patrol kept honking and flashing till I gave way. Now when the speed limit was defined why would I need to adhere to the whims of a fellow driver? But then again, road rage is something that I rather stay away from as a philosophy.


There is a lot of talk of driving safely by newspapers, columns, the authorities but then nothing seems to be working. The unruly drivers are carrying on with their stunts. Some talk about education. I tend to think that it’s all about upbringing, etiquette and culture. These qualities are not only about speech but also about how you lead your life at home and outside. The mindset of not caring about others is increasing among people and that’s a sad reflection of the society that we live in.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment