Monday, February 27, 2006

India for a Korean : An Inconsequential Chat

A simple conversation:

Korean: Where are you from?
Me: India
Korean: Indo?
Me: Yes
Korean: Gandhi?
Me: Yes
Korean: Indira Gandhi? Your President?
Me: No. She was the Prime Minister, once upon a time. Our President now is Dr. Abdul Kalam and our Prime Minister is Dr. Manmohan Singh.
Korean: You speak good english.
Me: "SMILE"
Korean: So, you can speak Indian?
Me: Umm..uhhh...I speak Hindi and Bengali
Korean: Meaning?
Me: You see I am from West Bengal that is towards the east of India and my mother tongue is Bengali. I also know Hindi because it’s our National Language.
Korean: So your friend, he speaks Hindi? Bengali?
Me: No he speaks Tamil. He is not a Bengali. He can’t speak Hindi.
Korean: You are confusing me.
Me: We have many languages in India, depends upon where you are from.
Korean: Oh I see, but Hindi is your common language.
Me: Yes, but we talk in English with him.
Korean: I give up!! Lets have a drink!!
Me: Lets!!
Korean: So what language do you speak at home?
Me: Bengali
Korean: So English is at work and Bengali at home. When do you speak Hindi?
Me: With friends!!
Korean: Sorry?
Me: I mean with friends who are from the Northern, Central and Western Part of India.
Korean: So in those parts of India, they speak Hindi.
Me: No. I mean Yes and No.
Korean: What do you mean?
Me: I mean there are languages other than Hindi, for example Gujrati in Gujarat, Marathi in Maharashtra, Punjabi in Punjab.
Korean: They are different provinces?
Me: Yes, we call them states.
Korean: But in English State would also mean country..
Me: That’s right, they almost are.
Korean: What are you trying to say?
Me: Never mind, I am just joking.
Korean: So all your prov...er...states and your language name is similar.
Me: NO!
Korean: Oh!!!!!
Me: Uttar Pradesh and Bihar in the North use Hindi. In the South we have Kerala using Malayalam. There are other examples
Korean: OIC! So each province....ohhhh...states have different governments?
Me: Yes, true.
Korean: So what is the official language?
Me: Each to their own.
Korean: Now I understood. So they communicate to each other in Hindi.
Me: NO, not always.
Korean: Are you trying to confuse me?
Me: No. While they use their own language, when communicating with others they also translate them to Hindi.
Tamil Friend: NO!!!
Korean: What?
Me: Some do and some don’t.
Korean: I had enough of this.
Me: Oh sorry. We must have bored you to death. It’s rather confusing. Oh by the way. Why do you guys have English Headings in Posters and Books but all other content in Korean?
Korean: HUH??? Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment