Monday, February 27, 2006

Mindless Banter

I came here last May and since then slowly and steadily the city has been growing on me. I find a lot of similarities between India and Korea in terms of the shopping markets, the town plans, people behavior in public, etc etc. Well, people may disagree, but thats their point of view.Let me talk about whats not same. The pride in one's own country, its culture and language. Making systems, procedures and following them. The way they keep their surroundings clean even while staying in a godforsaken alley. And the penchant to enjoy life and nature. The list is long, but I intend to stop here.

I stay in Mapo which is actually in downtown Seoul and my place is just above the station. Its a grand view from my pad and perhaps any new tourist in town could come to my place and I could show them the Han River, The Seoul TV Tower and the 63 Building. Thats a LOT...and on a full moon night....its fantastic.

I have been trying out the different types of Korean Food and I love the Samgyepsal. Soft slices of Pork meat barbecued on charcoal fire and eaten with a variety of leaves and accompaniments. I make that at home too but in a slightly different home grown method.

This month we are having this Film Festival in Seoul, but I got to know pretty late in the day. Veerzara, Raincoat and Page 3 were what I could manage to see. Missed out on Pinjar, though. A few of my Korean colleagues have evinced interest and that’s a good sign. I have been planning to watch some Korean movies myself and I now need to implement my plan.

The latest fad here in Korea is to develop un-chartered areas into tourism spots by creating Television Serial Outdoor shooting sets. The serial goes live, the place gets famous, commerce increases, and tourists come in – all in all a great idea. I am sure we benchmark such stuff in India too. In India a lot of tourist spots are like doing a pilgrimage. Bad transportation, lousy accommodation and reservations systems, pathetic marketing, seem to be the order of the day. We are happy with the Taj Mahal, Red Fort, Kodaikanal and the beaches of Goa. Lets privatize Ministry of Tourism, and I ‘ll take over Marketing. Who would look after Operations?

Today I had Beef Curry for lunch and a colleague of mine, Andy treated me and Yes, I eat beef and for that matter I eat most of the stuff. I need some guts for cockroaches perhaps as in China, but I have advanced to silk worms all right!! I am deviating and so I will backtrack. I was talking about the curry bit and found that perhaps we Indians can give a long lecture to most guys outside of India on the variety of curries that could be produced by differentiating the apices, their proportions and the administration. In Korea, a lot of people think that a “Curry”: is a cure for Alzheimer’s disease. That’s a new one for you? Nothing could be more untrue. I can perhaps tell you on how some curries can ensure that your liver and kidneys start malfunctioning if you are habituated with them.Well, that’s it for now and we’ll catch up again. Sphere: Related Content

4 comments:

  1. hi..interesting post..
    i can sense that u have been in seoul for a few months...
    its too short a time to form a balanced perspective of the place and its people...
    i sensed in ur posts the perspective of a tourist..
    but i belive ur thoughts would change once you have lived for longer term..
    u can see a post that i made few months into living in korea..
    http://piyushk.blogspot.com/
    but after living here for more than 2 years, i find myself more educated...regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Piyush,

    Thanks for your feedback. You are true in your remarks, but I have not really understood, as to which aspects are you talking about in my writings.

    Between you and me to actually know a place might take more than 2 years, but impressions are after all impressions.

    Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for not clarifying earlier.
    But I was in disagreement with the following statement of yours
    "I find a lot of similarities between India and Korea..Let me talk about whats not same. The pride in one's own country, its culture and language. Making systems, procedures and following them. The way they keep their surroundings clean even while staying in a godforsaken alley. And the penchant to enjoy life and nature...."
    This perspective is very similar to what I formed a few months after living in Korea. But living in this country for a longer period of time, I realised the deep hollowness of Korean society while at the same time understanding how "cool" India is. The amazing diversity rather than homogenity of culture and thought, striving for social equality rather than hierarchy, the emphasis on life for family rather than life for company and so many other things set India apart from Korea. Sure politically and economically, Korea is way ahead of India. But Korea has a long way to go in fixing its insane social mores. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Piyush,

    Interesting observation but not without prejudice. You also have perception problems. I am not sure how two years is enough to find How hollow the Koreans are!! Lets not kid ourselves.

    Best wishes

    Anup

    ReplyDelete