Sunday, March 19, 2006

Formally Informal!

The first phrase in the Title is an oxymoron in its own rights, but it does manage to confuse me thoroughly. These days a lot of organisations are I am told bending towards this form of dressing and I am not sure what they mean by it.

In one of the organisations where I used to work, it used to be a six days week with only the Sunday in between to relax. Men were to come in ties, shirts and trousers (what else) and the women could come in anything (the choice was wider – sari, salwar suit, skirts and shirts, and everything else!!). For women even jeans are formal and I don’t like this subjection!! Those were the formal days but now situations have changed. Formally Informal or Informally Formal are the buzzwords, whatever they mean.

Now say I wear a sky blue shirt with a black suit and a red striped tie and it would fall into the category of Formally Formal (Pardon me for introducing the Third Variable)!! So on a Saturday logically following HR guidelines I could change the color of my Tie to shocking yellow, or I could change into sports shoes (I would not ever do that, I assure you) or I could wear a pair of trouser with a label and I’ll pass.

Are jeans informal, formally informal or informally formal? I have a feel that the last category is the odd man out. But who cares!!

Then we used to have these self-nominated guardians of dress culture in the office. They would come and peer over their PC monitor to do a secret check on every person walking in. The women they would ogle at and the guys they would find faults with. I remember this guy being asked to go back home and change since he was wearing a pair of khakis white shirt and brownish tie (Informally Formal?).

People dress as per their wish and who am I to comment on this. But some things are glaring and I guess everything cannot be put to the test of logic. Say would you wear shorts and a jacket with a tie. Even the boy scouts won’t do that. But people do wear formal trousers, party shirts and a pair of Addidas sports shoes in the evening get together!! Please pardon them, because they are not aware of their sin (Thanks Jesus for the quote). But since you have come home to my party, could I ask you to leave, change and come back? Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

  1. Hey, now you got me reading your blogs. I have to say that I'm confused though. There are no grammatical errors, run-on sentences and incoherent ramblings... Why are you in Korea if your not an English teacher? lol

    ReplyDelete