Wednesday, March 8, 2006

Movies and Seoul : A very brief Guide

Movies are good for me, especially on a day when I have nothing better to do. I don’t mind watching movies alone in a theatre, unlike many others. After all, I would rather concentrate on the screen rather what’s going on beside me. I came to watch the movie, you see.

So when I first visited the KNTO website for a primer on movie theatres in Seoul, I was guided on to quite a few of them. The only problem was that most (almost all) of the sites were in Korean. Then I chanced upon the The Seoul Selection magazine and gained some first hand knowledge. In Seoul there are a plethora of multiplexes. I have visited most of them and my ratings are as follows:

The CGVs in Yongsan, World Cup Stadium, Incheon, Myongdong
Megabox in Coex
Seoul Cinema in Jongno-3ga
Dansungsa in Jongno-3ga
Piccadilly in Jongno-3ga
Lotte Cinema and Primus in Youngdeungpo Crossing

There are others in and around but these are the ones I have been to. I have rated the CGVs as the best of the lot as they are new, modern, and technically good. But between you and me I prefer going to Jongno-3ga because of two simple reasons: CHOICE.and AVAILABILITY.

I hardly ever get around to do advance planning for movies and that’s the reason I land up there. The same movie being shown in three halls in the vicinity ensures me a definite entry. So while I get the full coverage of all the movies in town, the availability of seats in some theatre or the other just builds on my reasoning.

I have been thinking about now venturing into watching some Korean movies too. They tell me that the best place would be in the Seoul Selection complex near Anguk where they have special screenings. The other is Cine Cube opposite the Seoul Museum of Art History near Gwanghamun Station Exit 6.

Besides all this, there are these Movie Clubs and you could find more details if you pick up the K-Scene available in any tourist joint or even on the web. Most of the theatres have their own websites. Though they are in Korean you could easily surf your way through. You could also check out The Korea Times website's movie section.

Its Movie Time Folks!! Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment