Thursday, March 2, 2006

The Snow, the Weather - and Me in Seoul

For a common Indian like me, born and brought up mostly in the plains, snowfalls have always fascinated me since childhood. When I saw movies, documentaries and television – I always wanted to experience the same. So when destiny desired that I be in Seoul, secretly I itched for the first snowfall of the season. That happened on a cold December Saturday.

In the morning it was bright and sunny and we had headed for Suwon, an hour from Seoul, to enhance our tourism knowledge. Perhaps I will cover our Suwon visit in a separate entry. The weatherman had predicted that it would start snowing in the evening that day and truly it did as predicted. I was in the train with some friends returning and we all gazed out of the train window and you should have been there to see the awe in our eyes. I reached home and remember calling home to give them the news and also tried to share the images on my web-cam, which of course did not turn out well.

I went down, well covered, and ventured out into the open. I wanted to feel the touch of the minute flakes come and rest on my coverings and felt them with my hands. The tiny flakes were covering the path and each footstep of mine while making their mark was disappearing in a short while. Then the fall turned heavy and I angled for Dunkin Doughnuts for a coffee and a doughnut. I decided to take some pictures of the snow clad “everything”, next day morning. Next day, I walked out of my pad and I could see a new white Seoul. I reached office and saw the beautiful park in front of our building turned white. The leaves, the grass, the paths and everything else were covered with thick snow. . And then I cursed, since I had forgotten to get my camera along!!!

After that first experience, the snow and the camera coming together has eluded me for quite a while and finally I did manage some pictures a few days back which I am yet to develop, You see, I am still old fashioned and continue to use my film camera.

I have of course been a regular weather forecast follower in terms of clothing or accessories like umbrella, etc. Most often then not the forecasts seem to be cool, other than some disasters here and there.

Take for example, the weather today. The forecast had warned about some mild showers and that's about all. Instead lets take account of the facts. Since morning we have seen snow, a bit of rain, the sun, heavy winds, dark clouds and a clear sky. Nothing can be more confusing then that. Would you still envy the weatherman’s job? Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment