Friday, March 3, 2006

Why India is Indo in Korea?

I hailed a cab today morning while on my way from Jongno Tower to Citicorp Center. I said to the cabbie – “Chik Chin” (straight ahead) and off he went. He asked me in Korean as to where do I belong to, and I told him, “Korean Obso”(meaning no Korean). He repeated his question in English. “Where are you from?”

I answered, “India”. He nodded his head and I felt that he did not understand. So I said, “Indo”. Now I saw the gleam in his eyes and he exclaimed, “Oh Indo! Mahatma Gandhi?” I could not agree more.

I sometimes wonder as to what caused India to become Indo. One possibility could be because of the eternal mistake Christopher Columbus did when he reached North America. What made him think that this was India when he met up with the Red Faced natives!! Now because of the Big Brother influence, they refer to us as Indo. Instead, have you ever heard of a Red-Indo!!!

The other reasoning could be because of our international ties and the nomenclature used. Indo-China, Indo-Pak, Indo-French, Indo-what have you. So that’s what you see in the newspapers and hence my supposition.

Do you have any other reason? I would be keen to know.

For that matter, do you know why a Vegetable Soup in Seoul will fetch you some bonus fish too? I have this Korean Colleague who declared that she is Vegetarian. But then in the restaurant she picked up some seafood too!!

I could carry on with some other questions I have. But I would be dimwitted, if you suddenly ask me the reason for onions and garlic being considered as Non-Vegetarian by some Indos!! Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment