Saturday, March 18, 2006

The Window

Every evening I return home and after I have dinner I do go to the Net for a while and then comes the time for “lights off”. My pad in Mapo has a very large window and I have placed my bed just beside it. That way my room looks more spacious and I do like that extra space. But that was not the main objective in the first place. I placed the bed next to the window since I am extremely fond of the view and I wanted to enjoy the same lazing on my bed, irrespective of time and day.

In the morning I can see the distant cluster of high-rise buildings and the Han River quietly flowing beside. As slowly as I sip my hot cup of tea, in a similar pace I can watch the main road 23 floors below coming to life. Traffic increasing in arithmetic progression to begin with and later converting to geometric progression. All kinds of shapes and sizes coming out of their homes in coloured jackets and overcoats (the men are in the same mundane colours of black and browns) and either taking a bus or a cab. I am still drinking my tea and I look up to see the play of lights of the rising sun as yet another day unfolds for me. I try to hold on to time but the sun would not listen. It jump out from behind those Chaebol High Rises. I can still look straight at the golden yellow blob with my eyes, but it just takes seconds before I bow down to the nature’s might.

There are some weekend days when I stay put the whole day in my pad and I keep watching the scenes and sceneries change throughout the course of the day. In spite of the heavy traffic on the roads below, my pad is quite insulated from the sounds of the vehicles zooming by. The hue of the red sun about to set during dusk and concrete structures representing the mood is a sight I seem to enjoy. It’s time for a coffee, since I don’t consume alcohol all alone due to unknown and unexplainable vague logic of my own.

The coffee in one hand, the latest Ludlum in my other, I seem to be enjoying the moment and then suddenly, as if two parts of the same coin, it’s a completely dark sky. But Seoul nightlife is just about waking up. The neons are up bright and jazzy, the giant TV screens are taking us all over the world courtesy Korean Air, and people down are all rushing to fill the restaurants. Perhaps Seoul and Tokyo will win hands down over any other City when comparing the density of restaurants in a defined area.

The moon is up and when it rises the size is quite big but slowly over time it settles down to the size we are used to. It’s bright and the stars are overshadowed by the luminance. The moon is good for me, because it’s connected by name and soul to my beloved. Some might say that I am getting romantic, but I ask, why don’t you? On the new moon day however its pitch dark, and late at night while lying on the bed I can see almost all the stars in clear Seoul sky.

When was the last time you paused in life and looked up at the sky and felt so humble? I look up and realize that I am just a tiny speck of dust particle compared to this whole universe. The whole day, perhaps we have spent time on our mundane stuff of laughter, sadness, pathos, confidence, over confidence, jokes, ridicule, control, power et al. That clear sky levels me up and is my mirror to find out the real me. In this land, far away from home, the sky and the stars help me to be in touch with my near and dear ones back home. My energy travels through mind radio waves way up there to meet up with my close ones. And with those who have left this earth too.

I lie on my bed, and while I unknowingly travel towards sleep, I am sure the stars above would be witness to the light smile of my face and while they keep guard the whole night, they would handover their thoughts to the morning sun to fill me up with all the energy to do good to others around me. Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment