Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Musical Bandbox - A Postlude

Yesterday night I had a dream. Mark Knoffler, Eric Clapton, Jim Morrison, and a few others threatened to strangle me since I forgot to mention their names. I have been liberally lending my ear to their music and - what the hell - they are my favourites too. I seem to be having too many favourites and I can consider myself lucky since it's an indirect guarantee. A guarantee that in future I will never be void of music.

Who else did I forget? Please don't go - KC and the Sunshine Band? Woman in Love - Barbara Streisand? I won't shy away from the fact that I remember buying Michael Jackson too for whatever its worth.

But all along I have been harping about Western Non Classical but there are two entirely separate dimensions to my kind of music.

One of them would be the Hindi (National Language of India) Film Songs and the other would be Bengali Songs (my mother tongue is Bengali). Why very few movies in India, Hindi or otherwise, cannot do without songs could be a complicated discussion and I rather deal with that separately.

Coming back to music, I seem to like impromptu Jazz renditions. Perhaps its for a very similar reason for me to get mentally involved with India Classical Instrumental, where the tunes come back to me in the form of waves - where there could be infinite variations in the same basic pattern.

That's about all and thanks for bearing with my tune.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment